What should I do if I have rubbish to burn?

The Fire Service advises that persons wishing to dispose of any domestic waste, bulk waste or debris, to do so via the Solid Waste Management Authority.

Whom should I call if there is a coal pit fire in my community?

If there is smoke emitting from a coal pit, contact the Ministry of Health, who will provide information on the steps to take. If there are visible flames present, contact the Fire Service.

Does the Fire Service do equipment rental?

There are certain equipment and services, such as pumps and ladders, which can be rented from the Fire Service at various prices. For further information prices and obtaining the required forms, please contact the Fire Service on 1 758 455 6100.

Whom should I call in the event of a fire?

If there is a fire, call 9-1-1. You can call 9-1-1 from a cell phone, or fixed line to notify the Fire Service of the fire.

What should I do if I notice a fire safety violation on in a public building?

If you notice a fire safety violation in a public building, contact the Fire Prevention Department on 1 758 455 6113 (north) 1 758 455 6198 (south). Please let us know your concerns. Do not call us if your concern involves a life-threatening emergency or fire,
however. In the event of an emergency or fire, please call 9-1-1.

Do I need to notify the fire service if I am planning an event?

Yes, you need to notify Fire Service any time you are planning a public event. Whether you are planning a big or small event, please complete and submit the Mass Crowd Events Safety Management Application Form so we can help make your event safe and

I have heard you need to be a particular size and build to become a firefighter, is this true?

There used to be restrictions on height, weight and chest expansion. This is no longer the case, but you will be expected to pass strength and fitness tests as part of the recruitment process. The tests are at a level that is achievable by men and women of all different sizes and builds.

Can I visit the fire station?

 The public is always welcome to visit the fire stations.

When I am driving and I see an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens on, what should I do?

When you notice an approaching emergency vehicle, IMMEDIATELY pull to the left and stop. If you are approaching an intersection and see an emergency vehicle that is approaching the intersection from behind you or another direction, come to a stop preferably one or two car lengths back from the intersection.

What is the best kind of fire extinguisher for my home?

A multi-purpose (ABC) fire extinguisher is best for the home. This extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home.

Downloadable documents

Water base Extinguisher
No prize
Next time
10% Discount
Free Ebook
No Prize
No luck today
50% Discount
No prize
Get your chance to win a XMas price!
Enter your email address and spin the wheel. This is your chance to win this XMas!
Our in-house rules:
  • One game per user
  • Cheaters will be disqualified.